The Rive Gauche store network is one of the largest federal perfume and cosmetics store chains which has been present at the market since 1995. The name of Rive Gauche is translated from French as “left bank” which is the famous fashionable quarter in Paris. Today, the company numbers over 200 stores around Russia.
Rive Gauche is a famous Russian cosmetic retailer, they are located in most bigger cities of Russia including St. Petersburg, Moscow, Novosibirsk, Yekaterinburg , Samara, Sotchi, Nizhny, Novogorod, Kazan, Chelyabinsk, Omsk and others
The average shop size is 200-300 m 2, They stock a diverse range of perfumes and cosmetics from luxury brands to mass-market products.
They now offer a range of products and services from perfumery, makeup, organic products, skin and hair care.
Context / environment
Street Co’s LED engineers and designers have been contacted by Claudine Leroch, official architect for the biggest retail shop projects of the brand Rive gauche for consultation for the new flagship store in Saint Petersburg.
The client shared CADdrawings of the floor plan. The main objective was to
hide the two big columns with cylinder LED display right at the entrance of the shop. They also wanted to set themselves apart from what already exists on the market and especially differentiate themselves from their main competitor which has a shop right next door to their shop.
After a few brainstorming meetings, Street co has proposed dozens of options to dress and hide these columns with digital doughnut LED screens.
This project was part of a renovation of most shops in Saint Petersburg from Rive gauche This particular one was located in the famous shopping mall: Galeria shopping mall Ligovsky Ave, 30А, St Petersburg, Russie, 191040
The architectural team of Rive Gauche were after suggestions of design options in the shop using our products and technologies, they were open to receive some advice and design proposals. They clearly wanted to be persuaded that our design was better than anything else they had been thinking of before. However, their vision was clear that by opening this shop they wanted to set the most advanced yet stylish and digital-oriented cosmetic shop.
With a team of very customer-driven architects, we had to propose an LED display that would not only seduce art-oriented customers but also provide an ROI and sale purpose.
- Create a great shopping experience
- Create a ‘Feel at home’ atmosphere’
- Increase the time customers are spending in the shop
- Increase the average spent by the customers (Maybe on particular products)
- Make a return on investment
This concrete column was a solid element for the structural building. The shopping mall management didn’t allow Rive Gauche to drill or fix anything against this post.
So we have understood the limitations and challenges of the environment.
We teamed up with our favourite architectural consultant Arthur Mamou Mani to propose visually attractive 3D options for LED display cylinders to surround the column.
Options included Palm covering, rings etc.
Arthur is used to our products so he has designed he knew exactly how to reduce or add design factors that would impact on the budget.
To feature the main concrete column right at the entrance of the shop, we proposed to Rive gauche architects and Claudine Leroch the options of using flexible and curved LED screens.
We started with:
- Consultation / Brainstorming in collaboration with Mamou mani to find the best-suited hardware that fit both budget and end-customer requirements with several options as mentioned above
- Price matric showing: Pitch, Resolution, diameters options, quantity, Price and result
- Proposing 3D visualisation of the final result on the column
- Creating a full ring section prototype to ensure we have taken into account all potential challenges
- Detail execution plan with AutoCAD and DWG drawings
- Team up with metal fabricators of LED cylinders to enable a turnkey solution
- Engineering of the installation
- Logistics, transportation and planning
- On-Site installation
This project has a 3 years free warranty under Street Co’s warranty program.
Diagram showing the signal of the column cylinder LED screen with the resolution and the control system diagram.
The screen is run on 12 electrical circuits to power the LED tiles in order to avoid a complete blackout if the power were to be cut. Each line holds 3 cylinder ring LED screens and the maximum consumption is 15,1KW. This diagram is for reference to know how the power is being connected. All cables are labelled and directly connected to the control room.
The content has been delivered by Street Co studio and the artist was Valeria
Materials & laboUr
Specification of Flex Module Indoor LED Screen:
- Cylinder led ring display: Length: 1900mm x Height: 31500mm
- Cylinder display was fixed onto a newly created structure – We didn’t drill in the concrete column
- There are 4 sections of rings:
- Cabinet size: W1000xH125xD113.5(mm)
- Cabinet qty:5ringx6pcs/ring=30pcs
- Screen size:3.75m2
- Cabinet size: W1000xH250xD113.5(mm)
- Cabinet qty:3ringx6pcs/ring=18pcs
- Screen size:4.5m2
- Cabinet size: W1000xH375xD113.5(mm)
- Cabinet qty:1ringx6pcs/ring=6pcs
- Screen size:2.25m2
- Cabinet size: W1000xH625xD113.5(mm)
- Cabinet qty:1ringx6pcs/ring=6pcs
- Screen size:3.75m2
- Flex Module Indoor LED Screen
- Pixel Pitch:4mm
- LED Config: SMD 2020 LED lamps from Nationstar
- Brightness: 1000nits/m2
- Refresh rate: ≥3000Hz(MBI5252)
- Scan rate:1/13
- Total of 13 sqm
- We used 13 circuits lines
- 2 Signal input One working as back up and one as the main signal
- The control system uses a Novastar Mctrl VX4s
- LED Model Goldenwire
- 920k px
The following steps took place:
a. Design construction plans of the product and installation system/solution. Our team of LED product design, designer and engineer will come up with stability calculation, 3D model and execution drawings and few safe and convenient options based on the ceiling structure your team have shared with us – That will be shared on commissioning. This step has already started.
b. Design of the fixation solution system It will take into account the weight of the LED and the capability of each beam structure without drilling on the concrete columns
c. LED modules manufacturing. The modules will be specifically designed and manufactured for the circular ceiling.
d. Pre-assembly of LED modules at the warehouse
e. Test in warehouse
f. Product and solution adjustment if necessary
g. Production and manufacturing
h. Transport and delivery onsite
i. On-site installation
j. Video signal test
k. Content management & broadcasting test onsite
l. Training for maintenance
m. Training for display
We took 6 days to install the screen and the support structure with a crew of 6 staff.
We ran intal a numerous of challenges:
- Structural engineering: We were not able to drill or to fix anything on those 2 concrete columns so we had to build a whole new structure fixed on the floor and the ceiling where we will attach our LED cylinder display
- Installation: each module were 125mm x 250mm and we had to cover 13sqm so it was a labour-intensive job.
- The LED column display was part of a few other display in the newly created shop so the control system was complex but we managed to simplify it and run all screen through one control computer
- The sample we initially made help a lot for the onsite assembling.
The shape of the screen conveys a brilliant artistic touch in the flagship store.
The LED column display fits perfectly in the space and compliments the products – The video content displays a lot of colour and detail which helps contribute to the young and dynamic image the Rive gauche has today.
This screen is not used to advertise products but to embellish the branding.
- Engineering CAD / 3D / Grasshopper /
- Technology System Design
- Interior Design
- Technology System Design
- Video/interactive content creation
- Revenue & Sales Strategy
- User Experience
Location: Galeria mall, St Petersburg, Russia
Client: Rive gauche
Team: Mamou Mani – Rema design – Street Co’ Paris + Shenzhen offices