The Rive Gauche store network is one of the largest federal perfume and cosmetics store networks which has been present at the market since 1995. The name of Rive Gauche is translated from French as “left bank” which is the famous fashionable quarter in Paris. Today, the company numbers over 200 stores around Russia.
Rive Gauche is a famous Russian cosmetic retailer, they are located in most bigger cities of Russia including St. Petersburg, Moscow, Novosibirsk, Yekaterinburg , Samara, Sotchi, Nizhny, Novogorod, Kazan, Chelyabinsk, Omsk and others
The average shop size is 200-5000 m 2, They stock a diverse range of perfumes and cosmetics from luxury brands to mass-market products.
They now offer a range of products and services from perfumery, makeup, organic products, skin and hair care.
Context / environment
After the success we had with the flagship store of Rive Gauche Saint Petersburg Galeria – The shop owner wanted to continue to equip all new shop opening with LED transparent display for shop windows.
Street Co’s LED engineers and designers have been contacted again by Claudine Leroch, official architect for the biggest retail shop projects of the brand Rive Gauche for consultation for the new flagship store in Moscow.
The client shared CAD drawings of the floor plan. The main objective was to indicate to future shop’s customers that were walking both outside the shopping area but also in the allees inside the Megamall Khimki Moscow shopping mall that the new flagship will open and use the windows shop to advertise products and promotions sold inside the shop.
Rive Gauche insisted on adding a futuristic and digital element to the front shop window. For the front shop windows the brief was simple and straightforward:
‘We need to add a transparent LED screen display to the windows shop to increase footfall’
This project was part of a global renovation of most Rive Ggauche shop in Moscow. This particular one was located in the famous shopping mall : Mega mall khimki Moscow shopping mall Leningradskoye Hwy, 39, Khimki, Moscow Oblast, Russie, 141400
The architectural team of Rive Gauche were after suggestions to find exactly where they should install the transparent LED display in the shop window.
Considering the facade building was huge, more than 600 sqm across 2 floors, Rive Gauche has consulted Street Co’ to find the best location on the facade of the building to equip the transparent LED display screen.
Design options in the shop using our products and technologies, they were open to receive some advice and design proposals. They clearly wanted to be persuaded that our designs were better than anything else they had been thinking of before. However, their vision was clear, by opening this shop they wanted to be the most advanced yet stylish and digital-oriented cosmetic shop and drive more footfall and sales inside the shop.
They also wanted to set themselves apart from what already exists on the market and especially to differentiate themselves from their main competitors which have a shop inside the same shopping mall.
- Create a great shopping experience
- Create a ‘Feel at home’ atmosphere’
- Increase the time customers are spending in the shop
- Increase the average spent by the customers (Maybe on particular products)
- Make a return on investment
After a few brainstorming meetings, Street co has proposed a few options to decorate the shop windows space with digital transparent LED screens.
The glass window is a key part of the shop as every single shopper will see and pass through it to enter the shop. The LED transparent display screen would have to comply with every regulation in terms of the stability and safety of the building. The issue
of letting natural light entering the building was also a challenge when choosing the product
So the choice of the pitch is important as the density of pixels on the LED modules/cabinet and resolution impacts how much light will pass through to the inside of the shop and how much it blocks the natural light from coming inside the shop.
Another issue to overcome was to test the Glass windows as they were tinted.
We have to identify and clearly understand the limitations and challenges of the environment and our team worked out several options that take that into account.
We needed to make sure our product will be able to clearly display the video even on very bright days during the daytime.
So we provided a product that has the capacity of 6500nits which is 20% more than the standard product to overtake the tinted glasses challenge.
We teamed up with our prefered architect consultant Arthur Mamou Mani to propose visually attractive 3D options of LED display for glass windows throughout the entrance of the shop. They helped with modelling the entire building in order to choose the best location. They also provided great video to show the end customer the final result.
Options included total covering, partial covering to lower the budget options.
Arthur is used to our products so he has designed he knew exactly how to reduce or add product specifications that will impact on the budget.
To feature the main window shop right at the entrance of the shop, we proposed to Rive Gauche architects and Claudine Leroch options using transparent and in-glass LED screens.
We started with:
- Consultation / Brainstorming in collaboration with Mamou mani to find the best-suited hardware that fit both budget and end-customer requirements with several options as mentioned above
- Price matric showing: Pitch, Resolution, diameters options, quantity, Price and result
- Proposing 3D visualisation of the final result on the staircase
- Creating a full ring section prototype to ensure we have taken into account all potential challenges
- Detail execution plan with AutoCAD and DWG drawings
- Team up with metal fabricator of the LED cylinder to enable a turnkey solution
- Engineering of the installation
- Logistic, transportation and planning
- On-Site installation
This project has a 4 years free warranty under Street Co’s warranty program.
Diagram showing the signal of the column cylinder LED screen with the resolution and the control system diagram.
The screen is run by 14 electrical circuits that power the LED floor tiles in order to avoid a complete blackout if the power were to be cut. Each line hold 4 section LED screens and maximum consumption is 26KW. This diagram is for reference of how the power is being connected. All cables are labelled and directly connected to the control room.
Materials & laboUr
Specification of the Transparent LED display for shop windows:
Transparent LED display Windows dimensions
- 2X Screens 1920W X 2880H / 11.059sqm / 960*480
- 2X Screens 1920 W X 3200 / 12.288sqm / 960*480+960*800
- 1x Screen 1920H X 3136W / 6.021sqsqm / 960*448
- 1x Screen 1920H X 4800W / 9.216sqm / 960*480
- 1x Screen 1920W X3200H / 6.144sqm / 960*480+960*800
- 2X Screens 960WX 3200Hmm / 6.144sqm / 960*480+960*800
- Total resolution: 2496px X 640 px
Location / Size(mm)(WxH) / Resolution(WxH)
- A-Upper: 1920mm*2720mm / 384px*340px
- A-Lower 1920mm*2400mm / 384px*300px
- B-Upper 1920mm*2720mm / 384px*340px
- B-Lower 1920*2400 / 384px*300px
- C: 3180mm*1920mm / 636px*240px
- D: 4800mm*1920mm / 960px*240px
- E : 1920mm*3200mm / 384px*400px
- F-Left 960mm*3200mm / 192px*400px
- F-Right 960mm*3200mm / 192px*400px
- Pitch 5 model SCT
- The transparent LED glass display was hung in front of the shop window
- Custom: Yes
- Sqm: 65sqm
- Number of windows: 9
- Thickness of the module 80mm to 120mm
- 2 Signal input One working as back up and one as the main signal
- The control system uses a Novastar Mctrl VX4s
- LED Model Goldenwire
- Tile size (mm) 960×480
- Driver MBI SMD – 5153
- Refresh Rate 3840Hz
- Scan Type 1/8
- Brightness (nits) 3500
- Led Brand Nationstar
- Both indoor and outdoor use
The following steps took place:
- Design construction plans of the product and installation system/solution. Our team of LED product design, designer and engineer will come up with stability calculation, 3D model and execution drawings and few safe and convenient options based on the ceiling structure your team have shared with us – That will be shared on commissioning. This step has already started.
- Design of the fixation solution system It will take into account the weight of the LED and the capability of each beam structure of the ceiling
- LED modules manufacturing. The modules will be specifically designed and manufactured for the ceiling.
- Pre-assembly of LED modules at the warehouse
- Test in warehouse
- Product and solution adjustment if necessary
- Production and manufacturing
- Transport and delivery onsite
- On-site installation
- Video signal test
- Content management & broadcasting test onsite
- Training for maintenance
- Training for display
We took 12.5 days to install the screen and the support structure with a crew of 6 staff.
– As the windows are tinted: Choosing the correct transparent LED display for shop windows with a brightness above 5000nits
– Choosing the most logical design for the location of the transparent windows LED display
– We were not allowed to attach the screen to the ceiling so we had to build a surrounding frame attached on the ground and surrounding the display
– Programming was challenging as we needed to be outside the building to see the visualisation and the result of the installation when the control room was located on the 2nd floor.
3D views + Factory TEST
The screen advertises products and promotions outside the shop but inside the mall which attracts customers that might not have planned to come shop to Rive Gauche otherwise.
The LED screen display also adds an innovative digital to the cosmetic brand.
- Engineringe CAD / 3D / Grasshopper /
Video/interactif content creationPrototyping
- Technology System Design
- Revenue & Sales Strategy
- User Experience
Location: Mega mall Khimki, Moscow, Russia
Team: Mamou-Mani – Rema design – Street Co’ Paris + Shenzhen offices