NH Hotel Group recently opened its first nhow property in London at the beginning of January.
nhow is a brand that surprises and inspires its guests by offering them an unconventional experience, which is unique to each hotel’s location. nhow London is part of the exciting new development 250 City Road.
London-based Project Orange is responsible for the interior design, taking on the theme ‘London reloaded’. Throughout the hotel, bold and fresh design takes inspiration from traditional British icons, such as the Royal Family, London landmarks and the underground. All have an unconventional and contemporary take, with stand-out features including a Big Ben rocket sculpture in the lobby, tables featuring cockney rhyming slang and oversized gold bell lights, a reminder of the city’s famous church bells.
Pro AV is a Global audiovisual (AV) systems integration and support services in corporate, education, retail, automotive, hotel, leisure and public sectors. Pro AV has sub-contracted Street Co to manufacture, produce and install the turnkey solution for the hotel.
Street Co’ has been working in partnership with Pro AV. Street Co’ supplied the column LED display screens turnkey solution while Pro AV installed everything that has surrounded the LED screen within the complex audiovisual architecture of the nHow hotel
Context / environment
For the opening of this new hotel in London, Project Orange contacted Street Co’ to help design the LED column display that was designed to be right in the lobby
and main entrance of the reception area.
The client shared CAD drawings of the floor plan and the main objective was to use LED display to hide the column structure and create a ‘Feel at home’ type of atmosphere by using the digital LED column screens to display content that would fit perfectly with the rest of the lobby area.
This LED column display would fit perfectly with the unconventional and fresh design of the new nHow hotel London.
They won’t advertise anything on the column and will use this medium as a pure design element to embellish the hotel.
The brief was simple and straightforward:
‘What is the best product to create a pixelated type of column LED display?’
They also wanted to set themselves apart from all the ‘Deja vu’ Lobby hotels. After a few brainstorming meetings, Street Co’ proposed a few options to decorate the column space with digital flexible LED screens.
ProAV was the company contracted to project manage the AV of the complete hotel installation. Street Co’ worked closely with them to accomplish the project.
When working with LED mesh the density of the array can impact a lot of the product and help save $ especially when the LED screen is not 100% compulsory for the project.
Street Co’ has provided options that will be presented within a Price matrix tab where the client will have a clear vision of what they are buying through:
- Resolution of the screen
- LED lamps brand
- Driver IC
- Scan rate and grayscale
- Density of pixel
- Range of the product: Eco / Standard / Premium
- Type of connection between LED lamp brand and PCB board of the screen Golden / Wire / silver
- AND PRICE
That has helped customers to have a better vision of what they will be buying.
As we were not allowed to drill into the concrete column we designed and engineered a structure that will fix the screen to the column without having to actually drill into it.
We have started with:
- Consultation / Brainstorming in collaboration with Project orange to find the best-suited hardware that fit both budget and end-customer requirements with several options as mentioned above
- Price matric showing: Pitch, Resolution, diameters options, quantity, Price and result
- Prototype stage to show customers an example of the end result.
- Detail execution plan with AutoCAD and DWG drawings
- Engineering of the installation
- Logistic, transportation and planning
- On-Site installation
The video content has been provided by Jealous Gallery.
Materials & laboUr
- Arranged Size: 4.16 m(W)x 2.24 m(H) = 9.3184 sqm
- Total Led Resolution: 104 (W)x 56 (H) = 5824 dots
- Arranged Led Module Resolution: 8 (W)x 56 (H) = 448 dots
- Arranged Led Module Size: 0.32 (W)x 2.24 (H) = 0.7168 sqm
- Total Modules Qty: 13 (W)x 1 (H) = 13 pcs
- Pixel Pitch 40 mm
- Brightness 1500nits
- LED TYPE RGB SMD3535
- Pixel Size 18x18x10.5mm
- Pixel weight 4.6g/pixel
- Pixel Matrix / module 8 x 94 dots
- Pixel Density / module 625dots/sqm
- Module size 0.32 x3.76m =1.2032sqm
- Max.Power Consumption 280W/m²(0.45w/pixel) 375W/m²(0.6w/pixel) 562.5W/m²(0.9w/pixel)
- Ave .Power Consumption 94W/m² 124W/m² 185.6W/m²
- Total Average .Power Consumption kw/hour kw/hour kw/hour
- Viewing Angle 120°(H)/120°(V)
- Refresh rate ≥1000Hz
- GrayScale 8bit/12 bit
- Color Space 16.7million / 68.7 Billion
- Controller Synchronous display with control PC by DVI
- Environment temperature -20℃~+45℃，humidity 10~90% RH
- Power input AC110~ 240V, 50/60Hz
- Waterproof rate IP65 with led string ,IP54with signal distributor and power box
- Operating Life 100,000hours
The following steps took place:
- Design construction plans of the product and installation system/solution. Our team of LED product design, designer and engineer will come up with stability calculation, 3D model and execution drawings and few safe and convenient options based on the ceiling structure your team have shared with us – That will be shared on commissioning. This step has already started.
- Design of the fixation solution system It will take into account the weight of the LED and the capability of each beam structure without drilling on the concrete columns
- LED modules manufacturing. The modules will be specifically designed and manufactured for the ceiling.
- Pre-assembly of LED modules at the warehouse
- Test in warehouse
- Product and solution adjustment if necessary
- Production and manufacturing
- Transport and delivery onsite
- On-site installation
- Video signal test
- Content management & broadcasting test onsite
- Training for maintenance
- Training for display
We took 6 days to install the screen and the support structure with a crew of 6 staff.
We run into a number of challenges:
The structural fixation system was a REAL challenge, indeed the column had different diameter everywhere, we also had to stick
more than 132 LED strips precisely 40mm from each other. The installation of the power supplies on the top of the column was also a challenge, Pro AV team did overcome it. The LEDs are connected through HDMI to a desktop hidden in the seating next to the column. We set up an automation system every time the PC starts up, the display software will run automatically and the column will light up accordingly.
The column brings light, design and a digital touch to this lobby and fits perfectly with the environment.
The video content displayed is very colourful and contributes to the young and dynamic image nHow hotel.
- Engineering CAD / 3D / Grasshopper /
- Video/interactive content creation
- Interior Design
- Technology System Design