Incheon International Airport (IIA) is the largest airport in South Korea, the primary airport serving the Seoul Capital Area, and one of the largest and busiest airports in the region. It has been rated as one of the world’s cleanest airports and highly-rated by Skytrax together with other international transit airports, such as Singapore Changi Airport and Tokyo Haneda Airport.
Context / environment
For the counter of the main information desk at IIA.
the architectural side of the building.
The client = shared CADdrawings of the floor plan and the main objective was to use LED displays to embellish and improve the space of the information desk.
We had to propose several designs using Flexible LED displays to fit perfectly with the unconventional and fresh design of the Airport.
The client won’t advertise anything on the column and will use this medium as a pure design-element to embellish the airport.
When working with LED mesh the density of the array can impact a lot of the product and help save $ especially when the LED screen is not 100% compulsory for the project.
Street Co’ has provided options that will be presented within a Price matrix tab where the client will have a clear idea of what they are buying and for what price:
- Resolution of the screen
- LED lamps brand
- Driver IC
- Scan rate and grayscale
- Density of pixel
- Range of the product: Eco / Standard / Premium
- Type of connection between LED lamp brand and PCB board of the screen Golden / Wire / silver
- AND PRICE
That has helped customers to have a better vision of what they will be buying.
We started with:
- Consultation / Brainstorming to find the best-suited hardware that fit both budget and end-customer requirements with several options as mentioned above
- Price matric showing: Pitch, Resolution, diameters options, quantity, Price and result
- Prototype stage to show customers an example of the end result.
- Detail execution plan with AutoCAD and DWG drawings
- Engineering of the installation
- Logistic, transportation and planning
- On-site installation
Video of the result
Materials & laboUr
- Arranged Size: 4.16 m(W)x 2.24 m(H) = 9.3184 sqm (X2)
- Total Led Resolution: 104 (W)x 56 (H) = 10824 dots
- Arranged Led Module Resolution: 8 (W)x 56 (H) = 888 dots
- Arranged Led Module Size: 0.32 (W)x 2.24 (H) = 0.7168 sqm
- Total Modules Qty: 13 (W)x 1 (H) = 13 pcs
- Pixel Pitch 40 mm
- Brightness 1500nits
- LED TYPE RGB SMD3535
- Pixel Size 18x18x10.5mm
- Pixel weight 4.6g/pixel
- Pixel Matrix / module 8 x 94 dots
- Pixel Density / module 625dots/sqm
- Module size 0.32 x3.76m =1.2032sqm
- Max.Power Consumption 280W/m²(0.45w/pixel) 375W/m²(0.6w/pixel) 562.5W/m²(0.9w/pixel)
- Ave .Power Consumption 94W/m² 124W/m² 185.6W/m²
- Total Average .Power Consumption kw/hour kw/hour kw/hour
- Viewing Angle 120°(H)/120°(V)
- Refresh rate ≥1000Hz
- GrayScale 8bit/12 bit
- Color Space 16.7million / 68.7 Billion
- Controller Synchronous display with control PC by DVI
- Environment temperature -20℃~+45℃，humidity 10~90% RH
- Power input AC110~ 240V, 50/60Hz
- Waterproof rate IP65 with led string,IP54 with signal distributor and power box
- Operating Life 100,000hours
We ran into many challenges:
The structural fixture system was a REAL challenge, we also had to stick more than 262 LED strips precisely 40mm from each other. The installation of the power supplies was also a challenge.
The LEDs are connected through HDMI to a desktop hidden in the control. We set up an automation system for every time the PC had to start-up so that the display software would run automatically and light up accordingly.
The design of the lighting system brings light, design and a digital touch to this information desk and fits perfectly within the environment.
The unconventional shape of the LED display fits perfectly in the space. The video content displayed is very colourful and includes details which help contribute to the young and dynamic image to the airport.
- Engineering CAD / 3D / Grasshopper /
- Video/interactive content creation
- Interior Design
- Technology System Design
Location: Seoul, South Korea,
Client: Incheon International Airport
Team: Street Co’ Paris + Shenzhen offices